Iced Cake Donuts
If you watch my Instagram stories, you saw a little sneak peek of these delicious homemade donuts baked to perfection! YOU GUYS!! We ate the entire dozen in one day 👏🏻😳😂 Log one (or two or three) into MFP and make them fit into your macros this weekend! Get the donut pan we use HERE.
Iced Cake Donuts
6F / 48C / 4P Per Serving
1 1/2 cups white, whole-wheat flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1⁄4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1⁄8 tsp. sea salt
1⁄4 cup melted coconut oil
1/2 cup raw honey
1⁄4 cup pure maple syrup
1⁄4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup cooked sweet potatoes (peeled and mashed)
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 large eggs
2 Tbs. sprinkles (1/2 tsp. per donut)
2 cups powdered sugar
4 Tbs. pasteurized egg whites
1 tsp. clear vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large bowl stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and sea salt; set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, beat together the melted coconut oil, honey, pure maple syrup and applesauce for three minutes. Add the mashed sweet potatoes and vanilla extract; mix well. Beat in one egg at a time. Then add the flour mixture and beat on low until just combined.
4. Pour the batter into a piping bag or large ziplock bag and cut a hole in the end. Spray a donut pan (here’s the one we use) with cooking spray and pipe the batter into each donut mold. Bake for 15 minutes. Let cool in pan for 2 minutes then transfer to a cooling rack. Let cool completely before frosting.
5. Beat the powdered sugar, egg whites and vanilla extract together in a large bowl until well combined. Dip each donut into the icing and then return to cooling rack. Once the icing is firm, dip each donut a second time and then top with sprinkles. Enjoy!